The Sanctuary is always open for visit throughout the year from 8:00am to 6:00pm Saturday.
A guided tour with one of the education staff will make your visit even more memorable. You’ll learn more about the Famous Lwiro Chimpanzee Sanctuary, how the species represented at the sanctuary fit in to it, and how each of the orphaned chimpanzees as well as other primates got there.
The estimated time spent in the sanctuary depends on how many questions they get. For groups with more people, the groups are split into smaller groups and have more than one tour guide so that everyone can see and hear.
The care staff will bring out the primates for an “up close and personal” experience where you get a closer look at these fascinating creatures. Chimp encounters are at pocket friendly rates, and need to be scheduled at least 3 months in advance.
As you visit, always remember that, Lwiro Chimpanzee Sanctuary is a sanctuary for the Chimpanzees and other primates such as,Baby Monkey ,parrots, turtles and porcupines- a safe place where they can live out their lives. All of the etiquette guidelines are based around the safety and comfort of the existing chimps.
Lwiro Chimpanzee Sanctuary etiquette
- Speak quietly and step softly.
- Mute your cell phone or put it in silent mode.
- You can take a few pictures, but only with flash-less cameras.
- Keep together as a group when in the presence of the chimpanzees and the other animals within the sanctuary.
- Stay on the paths and keep your hands away from the fences.
- Do not litter the Sanctuary